Friday, March 18, 2011

Week 6: Media

My host for Week 6 was Michael Paul Britto and his schedule is a whirlwind. So much so, that I've waited until week 7 to offer any type of commentary.  Admittedly, our inclusion in the current gallery exhibition at The Kitchen had something to do with the harried nature of our week together.  Still we able to spend some quality time.  My assigned reading (which I did not get a chance to finish) was Negrophobia.  The work is out of print so I have pledged to read Britto's copy whenever I visit as a normal guest.
Not surprisingly, Britto is a film afficianado, and has a particular interest in Black Cinema during the 1970's.  We watched the familial saga of Black Girl, directed by Ossie Davis.  I wasn't expecting such a moving portrait, but even the theatrical affectations seemed strangely appropriate. 





"I can't and I won't, but I did and I will." - MPB

No comments:

Post a Comment